Vehicles That do Not Need an MOT

tractor in field

Certain types of vehicle are exempt from getting an MOT.
If your vehicle is on this list then you should fill out the ‘V112 MOT exemption’ form available from the DVLA which also allows you to tax the vehicle or apply for tax exemption.

Exempt Vehicles

(a) Motor tractor.
(b) Track-laying vehicle.
(c) Articulated vehicle that is not a lorry or bus (including bendy buses).
(d) Works trucks.
(e) Invalid carriages weighing no more than 306kg when unloaded.
(f) Vehicle used only to pass from land occupied by the person keeping the vehicle to other land occupied by them, and not travelling on the road for more than a total of 6 miles a week.
(g) Hackney carriage or private-hire vehicle licensed by local authorities authorised to check the roadworthiness of this vehicle.
(h) Hackney carriage licensed by Transport for London.
(i) Vehicle provided for police purposes and maintained in an approved workshop.
(j) (GB only) Goods vehicle powered by electricity, and first registered before 1 March 2015.
(k) Tram.
(L) Trolley vehicle that is not an auxiliary trolley vehicle (auxiliary trolley vehicles are vehicles that are adapted to run from power provided from a source on board).
(m) Vehicles authorised to be used on the road by a Special Types General Order or a Vehicle Special Order, unless the order specifies otherwise.
(n) Vehicles used only on certain islands that do not have a bridge, tunnel, ford or other suitable way for motor vehicles to be conveniently driven to a road in any part of the UK.
(o) Vehicles with a maximum design speed of less than 15.5 miles per hour.
(p) A vehicle constructed for gully or street cleansing or refuse disposal, which either:
• is a three-wheeled vehicle, or
• has an inside track width of less than 810 millimetres.
(q) (GB only) A public service vehicle having a date of manufacture before 1st January 1960 and which has not been substantially changed.
(r) (GB only) A vehicle other than a public service vehicle registered or manufactured 40 years ago and which has not been substantially changed in the last 30 years.

What does ‘substantially changed’ mean?

A vehicle where the technical characteristics of the main components have changed in the last 30 years. These components (other than for motorbikes) are the chassis or monocoque bodyshell (including any sub-frames), engine and axle and running gear (alteration of the type and/or method of suspension or steering).
However, the following changes are not considered substantial:
• Chassis or monocoque bodyshell (including any subframes) – replacements of the same pattern as the original.
• Engine – alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines (if the number of cylinders in an engine is different from the original it is unlikely to be alternative original equipment).
• Axles and running gear – changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance.
• Changes that are made to preserve a vehicle (must be when original type parts are no longer available).
• Changes of a type that have been made when the type of vehicle was in production or in general use (within ten years of the end of production).
• For vehicles that have been used as commercial vehicles, changes which were being made when they were used commercially.

Q-prefix, kit cars and reconstructed classic vehicles

The following vehicles (including motorbikes) are to be considered as substantially changed, unless they are taxed as an “historic vehicle” and have not been modified during the previous 30 years:
• A vehicle issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ prefix.
• A kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle.
• A reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance.
• A kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell changing the general appearance of the vehicle.