How to Appeal a DVLA Fine

Received a DVLA fine? Here are the things you can do about it –

What kind of fines can I appeal?

– For not taxing or insuring your vehicle
– For not telling DVLA you no longer have the vehicle

For what reasons can I appeal?

You can appeal if you have proof that you have –
– Taxed your vehicle
– Had insurance for your vehicle
– Already told the DVLA that you are no longer the vehicle owner

What reasons can I not use to appeal?

– Changed your address but you did not inform DVLA
– Lost paperwork or you never received a reminder from DVLA
– Forgot or were away when you had to tax, insure or register your vehicle as off the road (SORN)
– You missed a direct debit payment because of a bank problem

When do I have to pay the fine?

Unless you have a valid reason, you must pay the fine as soon as possible.
If you do not pay the fine your vehicle could be clamped or crushed, and you prosecuted.

How can I pay?

For vehicle tax and SORN fines, you can pay online, but all other fines must be paid by phone or post.

How can I appeal a fine?

Your DVLA fine letter will tell you how, and how long you have to appeal.

What happens if I have lost my fine letter?

You can appeal in writing (include your vehicle registration) to –
DVLA Enforcement Centre
SA99 1AH

If you need an MOT to tax your vehicle, find your local MOT garage.